100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese
The mountainous borders of Spain
contain the origins of the prestigious surname Lopez. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century. The name Lopez is composed of two elements: the given name Lope, which is itself derived from the Latin word "lopus," which means "wolf," and the Spanish patronymic suffix "-ez."
The surname Lopez was first found in Old Castile
in the heart of Spain
, where the name originated in Visigothic
Spelling variations of this family name include: López, Lopez, Lope, Lobo, Lobato, Lóbez, Lobez and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lopez research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1236, 1033, 1180, 1186, 1214, 1215, 1232, 1332, 1407, 1363, 1412, 1398, 1458, 1455, 1501, 1555 and 1617 are included under the topic Early Lopez History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 405 words (29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lopez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gabriel López, who emigrated to Chile in 1560
- Francisco López, who arrived in Hispaniola in 1561
- Jerónimo López, who emigrated to Colombia in 1561
- Ana López, who emigrated to Nicaragua in 1561
- Juana López, who emigrated to Peru in 1562 with her daughter Ana
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliah Lopez, who landed in America in 1679
- Rachel Lopez, who arrived in America in 1679
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Moses Lopez, who landed in New York in 1740-1741
- Abigail Lopez, who arrived in Jamaica in 1750
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eusebio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Lucio Lopez, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Juan Lopez, who arrived in America in 1810
- Luis Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
- Maria Lopez, who landed in America in 1811
Lopez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fsmile Lopez, who landed in Texas in 1910
- Vito Joseph Lopez (1941-2015), American politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (1985-2013)
- Jennifer Lynn Lopez (b. 1969), American actress, singer, record producer, dancer, television personality, fashion designer and television producer
- Donald S. Lopez Sr. (1923-2008), former U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force fighter and test pilot and, until his death, the deputy director of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
- Barry Holstun Lopez (b. 1945), American author, essayist, and fiction writer
- Marco Antonio Lopez (b. 1978), American politician and United States Chief of Staff for Customs and Border Protection (2009-)
- Steven López (b. 1978), American 2000 and 2004 Olympic gold medalist in taekwondo
- Ángel de Andrés López (1951-2016), Spanish actor who appeared in more than 60 films and television shows
- Juan López Hita (1944-2014), Spanish professional footballer who played from 1963 to 1979, Member of the Spain National Team (1970-1972)
- Jesús López Cobos (b. 1940), Spanish conductor
- Feliciano López (b. 1981), Spanish professional tennis player
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Lopez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lopez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 May 2016 at 11:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!