on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Look family come from? What is the English Look family crest and coat of arms? When did the Look family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Look family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Luck, Luke, Louk, Louke, Loucks, Lucke and others.
First found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Look research. Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1567, 1582, 1691, 1580 and 1647 are included under the topic Early Look History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Look Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Look family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Look Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Bogislaw Look, aged 34, arrived in America in 1843
- S W Look, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Ernest Look, who landed in Arkansas in 1894
Look Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Look arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Himalaya" in 1849
- William J. Look, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State Senate Cape and Plymouth District, 1923-24
- Victor H. Look, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Circuit Judge in Michigan 3rd Circuit, 1935
- Dexter G. Look (1863-1935), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Kent County 2nd District, 1923-34
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
The Look Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Look Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 November 2015 at 11:05.
on orders of $85 or more