Loiselle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the historical and enchanting region of Artois emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Loiselle family. Originally, people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Artois is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name.
Early Origins of the Loiselle family
The surname Loiselle was first found in Artois, a former province of northern France.
The members of this distinguished family also branched into other regions of France, especially to Tourraine and to Poitou. In Normandy they settled in D'Oissel, a town in Seine-Inférieure, in the district of Rouen; in Burgundy they settled in the region of Nivernais; in Maine they settled in D'Oisseau, a town in the department of Mayenne, in the district of Mayenne, and in Savoie they settled in De Loiseux, in the district of Chambéry. In Berry the family was in possession of the seigniories of Bouchet in Isle, of Champ and of Villars. 
Early History of the Loiselle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Loiselle research. Another 182 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1380, 1696, 1698, 1708, 1715, 1753, 1764, 1789, 1536, 1617 and 1607 are included under the topic Early Loiselle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Loiselle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Loiselle, Loisel, Loiseau, Loiselet, Loiseleur, Loisellier, Loizeau, Loisé, Loizé, Loiset, Loisette, Loisy, Oiseau, Oisel, Oiselle, Oiseleur, Oiselier, Oisé, Oiset and many more.
Early Notables of the Loiselle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Loiselle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Loiselle family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Anne and Antoine Loiseau, who settled in Canada during the 17th century; Jacques Loiseau, who arrived in Canada in 1647; Louis Loisel, who settled in Montreal in 1648.
Contemporary Notables of the name Loiselle (post 1700) +
- Richard Frank "Rich" Loiselle (b. 1972), American retired Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1996-2001)
- J. Leo Loiselle, American Democrat politician, Nominated in primary for Vermont State Auditor of accounts 1962, but withdrew before election 
- Nicole Loiselle (b. 1954), Canadian politician, MNA for Saint-Henri (1989-1994)
- Bernard Pierre Loiselle (b. 1948), Canadian politician, Member of Parliament for Chambly (1974-1979)
- Claude Loiselle (b. 1963), Canadian former NHL ice hockey forward
- Gilles Loiselle (b. 1929), former President of the Treasury Board of Canada
Related Stories +
- ^ Hozier, Charles D, and Antoine Bachelin-Delforenne. État présent De La Noblesse française (1883-1887): Contenant Le Distionnaire De La Noblesse Contemporaine Et Larmorial général De France, Dapres Les Manuscrits De Ch. D Hozier. Librairie Des Bibliophiles, 1884. Print.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html