100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French
The surname Lively was first found in Padua (Italian: Padova, Latin: Patavium, Venetian: Padoa), on the Bacchiglione River, capital of the province of Padua. In 1175, the citizens elected the D'Este family as podesta but in 1275 Frederick II took over. The powerful families of D'Este, Camposampiero and Da Romano were the large influences. The city is rich in art, museums and galleries. Many churches exhibit works of the masters. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lively, Livelli, Livelly, Leuvelin, Leuveling, Leubfling, Leuven, Leivelli, Leifelly, Lievely, Leuvel and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lively research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 155 and 1556 are included under the topic Early Lively History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Lively Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lively Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthew Lively, who arrived in Virginia in 1734
Lively Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H. Lively, who came to New York, NY in 1821
- George Lively, who settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Michael Lively, who settled in Indiana sometime between 1849 and 1854
- Dennis Lively, who arrived in Kansas in 1872
Lively Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Micheal Lively, who arrived in Indiana in 1900
- James Lively, who arrived in Indiana in 1900
Lively Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Reuben Lively U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Lively Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Lively, who settled in Ontario in 1871
- Elizabeth Lively, who settled in Ontario in 1871
- Franklin Pierce Lively (1921-2016), American jurist, Senior Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (1989-2016)
- Henry Everett "Jack" Lively (1885-1967), American Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher who played for the 1911 Detroit Tigers, father of Buddy Lively
- Everett Adrian "Buddy" Lively (1925-2015), nicknamed "Red", American Major League Baseball player who played for the Cincinnati Reds from 1947 to 1949
- Zack Lively (b. 1987), American actor best known for his role as Heath on ABC Family's GREEK
- Scott Douglas Lively (b. 1957), American author, attorney, social activist and political candidate for Governor of Massachusetts (2014)
- Robyn Elaine Lively (b. 1972), American actress, best known for her role in the film Teen Witch
- Jason Lively (b. 1968), American actor
- Lori Lynn Lively (b. 1966), American actress and television co-host/designer
- John D. Lively (b. 1946), American politician, Member of the Oregon House of Representatives (2013-)
- John L. Lively, retired American Thoroughbred horse racing jockey who won 3,468 career races, including the 1976 Preakness Stakes, awarded the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in 1990
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
The Lively Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lively Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 March 2016 at 14:51.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!