Litherland History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Litherland family
The surname Litherland was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat in this township in the parish of Sefton. Although early records are scant, it is surmised that this ancient fief was named Lederland, amongst neighboring Bootle, Walton, Newsham, Childwall, Wavertree, West Derby, Speke, Crosby and Maghull and appeared in the Domesday Book in 1086. Litherland or Lederland appeared as Down Litherland, held by Roger de Poitou, a Norman noble. Lither or Leder succeeded the original Norman settler on the estate, and later it became the Lordship of Litherland.
"Litherland was used as a surname. In 1246 Edith de Litherland complained that Yarwerth de Litherland had taken her cow; but he proved that she was his 'native' and that he seized the cow in lieu of her service. She was poor and had been abetted in the matter by Richard le Waleys and Henry de Standish. About 1320 the Henry de Litherland demised to Margaret his mother for life all his lands in Aughton, except his field of Stockbridge." 
Early History of the Litherland family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Litherland research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1548 and 1513 are included under the topic Early Litherland History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Litherland Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Litherland, Lederland, Leatherland, Leather and others.
Early Notables of the Litherland family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Litherland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Litherland migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Litherland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Litherland, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1894
- James Litherland, aged 2, who settled in America, in 1895
- Agnes Litherland, aged 10, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Ellen Litherland, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
Litherland Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Litherland, aged 33, who landed in America from Birmingham, England, in 1911
- Arthur Litherland, aged 18, who landed in America, in 1917
- William Litherland, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Bispham, England, in 1918
- Edith Litherland, aged 43, who landed in America from Birmingham, England, in 1921
- Dorothy Litherland, aged 21, who immigrated to America from Birmingham, England, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Litherland (post 1700) +
- Martin Litherland OBE (1945-1986), English geologist from Woking, Leader of the Cordillera Real Geological Research Project in Ecuador (1986-1992)
- James Litherland (b. 1949), English singer and guitarist from Salford, Lancashire
- Peter Litherland (1756-1805), English watchmaker and inventor who patented the rack lever escapement for watches
- Geoff Diego Litherland (b. 1979), Mexican-born, British geologist, son of Martin Litherland
- Robert Kenneth "Bob" Litherland (b. 1930), British Labour politician, Member of Parliament for Manchester Central (1979–1997)
- Professor Albert Litherland, Canadian professor of Physics, University of Toronto
Related Stories +
- ^ 'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].