Lisman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Lisman name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name comes from having lived in the village Lasham, in Hampshire which was the site of an old stretch of King's Land called Lascham Wood.
Early Origins of the Lisman family
The surname Lisman was first found in Hampshire at Lasham, a small village and civil parish in the East Hampshire district that dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was recorded at Esseham.  Literally, the place name means "smaller homestead, or homestead of a man called Leassa," from the Old English "laessa" + "ham." 
Early History of the Lisman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lisman research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1260, 1273, 1295, 1583, 1800, 1808 and 1809 are included under the topic Early Lisman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lisman Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Lisman has undergone many spelling variations, including Lasham, Lassham, Lassam, Lascham, Lashem, Lashom, Laschem and many more.
Early Notables of the Lisman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lisman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lisman migration to the United States +
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Lisman were among those contributors:
Lisman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Lisman, who landed in Virginia in 1651 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lisman (post 1700) +
- Frederick L. Lisman, American Republican politician, Mayor of Milford, Connecticut, 1989-2001 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html