on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Lingard was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lingard, Lingar, Linguard, Lingarde, Lingard, Lyngard, Lyngerd and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lingard research. Another 336 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Lingard History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Lingard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lingard Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ruth Lingard, who came to America in 1703
- Ann Lingard, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- William Lingard, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1709-1710
- Robert Lingard, who arrived in Maryland in 1753
Lingard Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Lingard, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Lingard Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Lingard, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- Ann Lingard, aged 26, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- John Lingard, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- John Lingard, aged 48, a labourer, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1841
- Grace Lingard, aged 50, arrived in Port Nicholson aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1841
- Jesse Ellis Lingard (b. 1992), English footballer
- Ivor Lingard (b. 1942), English former professional rugby league footballer
- William Horace Lingard (1839-1927), 19th century English comic singer
- Father John Lingard (1771-1851), English Roman Catholic priest, historian and author
- Joan Lingard (b. 1932), Scottish novel writer
- Kevin Rowson "Kev" Lingard (b. 1942), Australian politician
- Grant Lingard (1961-1995), New Zealand born artist who, although a painting graduate, focused on minimalist sculptural installations
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Lingard Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lingard Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2015 at 14:20.
on orders of $85 or more