Early Origins of the Limington family
The surname Limington was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Limington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Limington research.Another 245 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1415, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Limington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Limington Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Limington has undergone many spelling variations
, including Lemington, Lemming, Leamington, Leaminton, Lemminton, Leminton, Lenington and many more.
Early Notables of the Limington family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Limington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Limington family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Limington were among those contributors: A. Lemington, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852.