Levinson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Levinson family
The surname Levinson was first found in Westmorland where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century where they held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Levinson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Levinson research. Another 157 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1435, 1095, 1412, 1556, 1455, 1487, 1678, 1678, 1607, 1625, 1698, 1673, 1698 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Levinson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Levinson Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Levins, Levinz, Leving, Levings, Living, Livins, Levinge and many more.
Early Notables of the Levinson family (pre 1700)
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Levinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Levinson migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Levinson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barnet Levinson, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1892
Levinson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ada Levinson, aged 8, who immigrated to the United States from Leeds, in 1900
- Aron Levinson, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1900
- Benjamin Levinson, aged 18, who landed in America from Sunderland, in 1904
- Berl Levinson, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1904
- A.B. Levinson, aged 39, who settled in America, in 1904
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Levinson (post 1700) +
- Robert Alan Levinson (1948-2020), American former Drug Enforcement Administration and Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who disappeared mysteriously on March 9, 2007 in Kish Island, Iran
- Steven H. Levinson (b. 1946), Associate Justice of the Hawaii State Supreme Court
- Richard Levinson (1934-1987), American writer and producer from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Norman Levinson (1912-1975), American mathematician who proposed the Levinson recursion in 1947
- Nathan Levinson (1888-1952), American Academy Award winning sound engineer
- Gerald Levinson (b. 1951), American composer of contemporary classical music
- Daniel J. Levinson (1920-1994), American psychologist, one of the founders in the field of Positive Adult Development
- Barry Levinson (1942-1984), four-time Emmy Award winning, American Oscar winning, four-time Oscar nominated screenwriter, film director, actor, and producer of film and television, perhaps best known for The Natural (1984); Good Morning, Vietnam (1987); and Rain Man (1988)
- Arthur D. Levinson (b. 1950), American businessman, current chairman of Apple Inc
Historic Events for the Levinson family +
- Mr. Joseph Levinson Jr., Canadian 1st Class Passenger from Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking by escaping in life boat 14 
Related Stories +