Leavell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Leavell surname is derived from the Norman French word "lou," meaning "wolf," with the diminutive suffix "el."
Early Origins of the Leavell family
The surname Leavell was first found in Roxburghshire, where a branch of the Lovels, barons of Castle Cary, Somersetheld lands.
Important Dates for the Leavell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leavell research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1454, 1483, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Leavell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leavell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lovell, Lowell, Lovel, Leavell, Lowles and others.
Early Notables of the Leavell family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leavell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leavell family to Ireland
Some of the Leavell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leavell migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Leavell Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Leavell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- J.T. Leavell, aged 36, who landed in America, in 1905
- John Thorn Leavell, aged 38, who immigrated to America, in 1906
- Lila Leavell, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1910
- Mrs. Gray Leavell, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States, in 1915
- Frank Leavell, aged 39, who immigrated to the United States, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Leavell (post 1700)
- Allen Frazier "Chuck" Leavell (b. 1957), retired American professional NBA basketball player
- Charles Alfred "Chuck" Leavell (b. 1952), American pianist and keyboardist, member of The Allman Brothers Band
- William Hayne Leavell (1850-1930), American Democrat politician, U.S. Minister to Guatamala, 1913-18 
- Elizabeth Oliver Leavell (1871-1952), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maryland, 1928 
- Ava Leavell Haymon, American poet, the 2013-2015 Poet Laureate of Louisiana
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html