layon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name layon arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The layon family lived in Staffordshire. Their name is derived from the Old English word lanu and literally translates as dweller in the Lane.
Early Origins of the layon family
The surname layon was first found in Staffordshire where the family claim descent from De La Lane as listed in the Roll of Battle Abbey. 
This source continues "a family illustrious in history for the part they took in the preservation of King Charles II. After the battle of Worcester, Col. John Lane, head of the house, received the fugitive Prince at his mansion of Bentley, whence his Majesty was conveyed in disguise by the Colonel's eldest sister, Jane Lane, to her cousin Mrs. Norton's residence in Bristol. This loyal lady received after the Restoration an annual pension of £1,000 for life. Her brother, the cavalier Col. Lane was granted the especial badge of honour, the arms of England (three lions passant guardant on a red field) in a canton for his efforts."
The Royal Crown in the crest also bears to the family's recognition as does the family motto which translates as "Guard the King."
Bentley Hall [in Bentley, Staffordshire], the ancient manor-house of the Lane family, is distinguished as the residence of Colonel Lane. The Hall is a neat building standing on an eminence." 
Early History of the layon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our layon research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1591, 1675, 1630, 1644, 1660, 1662, 1660, 1663, 1663, 1667, 1667, 1675, 1609, 1667, 1661, 1667, 1651, 1626, 1689, 1651 and are included under the topic Early layon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
layon Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Lane, Lawn, Lone, Loan, Lain, Laine and others.
Early Notables of the layon family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Benjamin Lany (Laney) (1591-1675), an English academic and bishop from Ipswich, Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge (1630-1644) and (1660-1662), Bishop of Peterborough (1660-1663) of Lincoln (1663-1667) and of Ely (1667-1675); Colonel John Lane of Bentley (1609-1667), English Member of Parliament for Lichfield, Staffordshire (1661 to 1667), and Royalist colonel who had given refuge to King Charles II at...
Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early layon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the layon family to Ireland
Some of the layon family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the layon family
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name layon or a variant listed above: Alice Lane, who settled in Virginia in 1620; along with Daniel in 1635; Edward in 1654; Henry in 1623; James in 1729; John in 1635; Mary in 1663; Rebecca in 1635.
Related Stories +
The layon Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Garde le Roy
Motto Translation: Guard the king.
- ^ Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.