on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
From the beautiful region of Burgundy (Bourgogne), in France, comes the distinguished surname laroche. laroche is a topographic surname, a type of hereditary surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came. The name laroche is derived from the Old French word roche, meaning rock, and indicates that the original bearer was distinguished by residence near a prominent rock.
The surname laroche was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where this ancient family was recognized as one of the original families of the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Roche, Delaroche, Deroche, Desroches, Desrochers, Laroche, La Roche and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our laroche research. Another 439 words (31 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1663, 1318, 1658, 1724, 1470, 1530, 1644, 1710, 1797, 1856, 1668 and 1741 are included under the topic Early laroche History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Notable amongst the family at this time was Estienne de La Roche (1470-1530), a French mathematician; Anne de La Roche-Guilhem (1644-1710), a French writer; and Hippolyte de la Roche, also know as Paul, (1797-1856), a...
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early laroche Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
laroche Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Durand LaRoche, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Jacques LaRoche, aged 43, arrived in Louisiana in 1719
- Jacques LaRoche, aged 43, settled in Louisiana in 1719
- Antoine Laroche, at the age of twenty, arrived in Louisiana in 1720
- Antoine LaRoche, aged 20, arrived in Louisiana in 1720
laroche Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jost Heinrich LaRoche, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Nicolaus LaRoche, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Anna Maria LaRoche, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1802
- Denois Laroche settled in Philadelphia in 1807
- Denois Laroche, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1807
laroche Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Isaac Laroche, aged 24, landed in Canada in 1643
- Jean LaRoche, who landed in Montreal in 1653
- J. Paul LaRoche, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Hampshire, 1956
- David E. Laroche, American Democrat politician, Member of Rhode Island State House of Representatives 49th District; Elected 2002
- François Laroche, French Brigadier General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815
- Claude Emile Laroche, French physician, Knight of the Legion of Honour, Paris
- Guy André Laroche, French physician, Commander of the Legion of Honour, Paris
- Guy Laroche (1923-1989), French Couturier, Paris
- Maria Sophie von La Roche (1730-1807), German novelist
- Mazo de la Roche (1879-1961), born Mazo Louise Roche, Canadian author, best known for her Jalna series of novels
- Sir James La Roche (1734-1804), 1st Baronet, was a British slave trader and politician, Sheriff of Bristol (1764-1765), Member of Parliament for Bodmin (1768-1780)
- Fritz Hoffmann- La Roche (1868-1920), German founder of the Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd in 1896, known today as Roche, with 80,129 employees as of 2012
- Mr. Joseph Philippe Lemercier Laroche (d. 1912), aged 25, French Second Class passenger from Paris, France who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Mrs. Juliette Marie Louise Laroche, (née Lafargue), aged 22, French Second Class passenger from Paris, France who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 14
- Miss Simoné Marie Anne Andrée Laroche, aged 3, French Second Class passenger from Paris, France who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 14
- Miss Louise Marguerite Laroche, aged 1, French Second Class passenger from Paris, France who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 14
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The laroche Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The laroche Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 June 2016 at 08:55.
on orders of $85 or more