The langtree name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. Their name comes from having lived in the parish of Langtree in Devon
. The surname was also associated with Langtree the township in the parish of Standish in Lancashire.
Early Origins of the langtree family
The surname langtree was first found in Devon
at Langtree, a village and parish in the union of Torrington, hundred
of Shebbear, Torrington. Dating back to the Domesday Book
of 1086 where it was listed as Langtrewa CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
, the place name literally means "tall tree," from the Old English words "lang" + "treow." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
Standish-with-Langtree was the name of a local
government district centered on Standish, Greater Manchester, historically part of Lancashire
. The Langtree was an ancient hundred in the south-east of the county of Oxfordshire.
Early History of the langtree family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our langtree research.Another 66 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1173 are included under the topic Early langtree History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
langtree Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name langtree has undergone many spelling variations
, including Langtree, Langtrey, Langtry and others.
Early Notables of the langtree family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early langtree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the langtree family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name langtree were among those contributors:
langtree Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M. V. Langtree, aged 52, who arrived in America from Belfast, in 1895
langtree Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert G. Langtree, aged 22, who arrived in America from Melbourne, Australia, in 1906
- James Langtree, aged 36, who arrived in America from Burnley, England, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name langtree (post 1700)
- Charles Langtree (1833-1916), Australian rules footballer who played in round 12 of the 1900 VFL season
- Andrew Mark Langtree (b. 1977), British stage and film actor, known for his films roles in Emmerdale (1972), Coronation Street (1960) and De-Lovely (2004)
langtree Family Crest Products
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)