lackie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
lackie was first used as a surname in the Scottish/English Borderlands by the Strathclyde-Briton. The first lackie family lived at Leckie in the county of Stirlingshire. The place name is derived from the Gaelic leac, or "flagstone," and the suffix -ach, which means "place."
Early Origins of the lackie family
The surname lackie was first found in Stirlingshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the lackie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lackie research. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1390, 1406, 1380, 1784, 1537, 1797 and are included under the topic Early lackie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lackie Spelling Variations
Medieval Scottish names are rife with spelling variations. This is due to the fact that scribes in that era spelled according to the sound of words, rather than any set of rules. lackie has been spelled Leckie, Leck, Leckey, Lecky, Lackey, Lackie, Lachey, Lakey and many more.
Early Notables of the lackie family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lackie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the lackie family to Ireland
Some of the lackie family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 78 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lackie migration to the United States
Many Scots were left with few options other than to leave their homeland for the colonies across the Atlantic. Some of these families fought to defend their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. Others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these families have recently been able to rediscover their roots through Clan societies and other Scottish organizations. Among them:
lackie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Catherine S. Lackie, aged 24, who arrived in America from Edinburgh, in 1903
- Nellie Lackie, aged 26, who arrived in America from Edinburgh, in 1903
- William H. Lackie, aged 30, who arrived in America from Puerto Rico, in 1903
- Alfred Lackie, aged 21, who arrived in America from Glasgow, in 1907
- Sarah Lackie, aged 36, who arrived in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name lackie (post 1700)
- Ethel Minnie Lackie (1907-1979), American two-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer and the 1924 Summer Olympics
- David M. Lackie, American politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bridgeport, 1910 
- Mark Andrew Lackie (b. 1967), Canadian silver medalist short track speed skater at the 1992 Winter Olympics
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html