Kriel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Kriel family
The surname Kriel was first found in Roll of Battel Abbey in which "Robert, Duke of Normandy, the Conqueror's father, in order to keep in check the people of the Pays de Dol, built in the year 1030 a castle at Cazel or Cheruel upon the Cousnon, a river which then divided the provinces of Normandy and Brittany. This place gave name to a family, which became highly distinguished in succeeding generations, and of which was the Norman knight, Kiriel, who appears on the Battle Abbey Roll. Among the more celebrated personages of the name, we may mention Hue Kyriel, Admiral of the French, and Nicholas Kiriel, Admiral of the English Fleet, in the 14th century." 
"The family of Stansfeld, of Stansfeld, and of the Island of Jersey, deriving from Wyon Maryon, of a noble house in Brittany, to whom the extensive township in the West Riding of Yorkshire, whence he adopted his surname, was granted by the Conqueror, claims a common origin with the Kyriels and Kyrles, from the Kiriell of the Bathe Abbey Roll. " 
Conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Ashburhnham by Sir Robert de Cruel, who held from Count Eu, who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086. They were from Criel sur Mer in the arrondisement of Dieppe. In 1870 the walls of the castle were still standing.
Early History of the Kriel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kriel research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1075 and 1306 are included under the topic Early Kriel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kriel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cruel, Criel, Criell, Cryell, Criol, Crioll, Cryel, Cryall, Cryll, Cryl, d'Criel, Crial, D'Crial, De Crow, Deicrow, DeCrow, Cryal, Kriel, Kryel, Kryell, Kriell and many more.
Early Notables of the Kriel family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kriel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In South Africa, the name Kriel is the 516th most popular surname with an estimated 13,970 people with that name. 
Kriel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kriel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederich E. Kriel, who settled in Philadelphia in 1878
Contemporary Notables of the name Kriel (post 1700) +
- Lieutenant-General James Kriel (b. 1942), former South African military commander, Chief of Air Staff (1986), Chief of Air Force Staff (1991)
- Hernus Kriel (b. 1941), South African politician, the first Premier of the Western Cape province (1994-1998)
- Jaco Kriel (b. 1989), South African rugby union player
- Anneline Kriel (b. 1955), South African model and actress, Miss World (1974) at the age of nineteen
- Marianne Kriel (b. 1971), South African bronze medalist competitive swimmer at the 1996 Summer Olympics
Related Stories +
- ^ Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
- ^ https://forebears.io/south-africa/surnames