Kriegel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Kriegel surname comes from the Middle High German word "krieger," meaning " warrior," or "soldier;" and as such it was an occupational name for a mercenary soldier. However, some instances of this name are no doubt derived from the Middle High German word "kriege," which means "obstinate" or "cantankerous." In this case, Kriegel would have originally been a nickname, which in turn became a hereditary surname when surnames first began to be used.
Early Origins of the Kriegel family
The surname Kriegel was first found in Silesia, where the family rose to prominence early in the mediaeval era. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. Individual bearers of this name first mentioned in ancient chronicles include Johann Criec (Chrieger) who lived around 1260.
Early History of the Kriegel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kriegel research. Another 389 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1711, 1737, 1701, 1740, 1818, 1743, 1830, 1837, 1683, 1755, 1617, 1681, 1634, 1666, 1649, 1725, 1652 and 1735 are included under the topic Early Kriegel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kriegel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Krieger, Kreiger, Krieg, Kriege, Krige, Krig, Crieg, Crieger, Criege, Criegern, Kriegern, Kriegger, Kriegge, Kriegg, Kriegler, Kriegel, Kriegl, Krigler, Kriegk, Kriegker, Kriegke, Kriec, Kriek, Criec, Creger, Chrieger, Chrieg, Criegel, Kriieger and many more.
Early Notables of the Kriegel family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Kriegel were Johan Cornelius Krieger (1683-1755), a Danish architect and landscape architect; Captain Marten Kregier (Cregier) (1617-c.1681), German settler of New Amsterdam from Borcken; and Adam Krieger (1634-1666), an organist at the Leipzig and Dresden courts, who is...
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kriegel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kriegel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kriegel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- M. Kriegel, and his wife Rosina, who settled in Texas in 1853
- Carol Kriegel, aged 47, who landed in America, in 1893
Kriegel Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Chane Kriegel, aged 58, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Hansi Kriegel, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from Hamburg, Germany, in 1908
- Hersch Kriegel, aged 37, who immigrated to America from Bereznica, Austria, in 1909
- Israel Kriegel, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Bereznica, Austria, in 1909
- Leonie Kriegel, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Germany, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Kriegel (post 1700) +
- David Kriegel (b. 1969), American actor from New York City, New York, known for Speed (1994), Leaving Las Vegas (1995) and Alive (1993)
- Leonard Kriegel (b. 1933), American author
- Hans-Peter Kriegel (b. 1948), German computer scientist and professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Volker Kriegel (1943-2003), German jazz guitarist and composer
- Kathy Kriegel, French actress and director, known for A Tale of Two Cities (1989), Nana (1981) and Le môme (1986)
- František Kriegel (1908-1979), Czechoslovakian politician, physician, member of the Communist Party reform wing
Related Stories +