Early Origins of the Kosten family
The surname Kosten was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands
. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Kosten family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kosten research.Another 262 words (19 lines of text) covering the year 1813 is included under the topic Early Kosten History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kosten Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Kostin, Kostins, Coastin, Kostens, Koastin, Kosstin, Kossten, Kosston, Coston, Cosston and many more.
Early Notables of the Kosten family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kosten Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kosten family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kosten Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jan Kosten, who settled in Annapolis in 1865
- Marinus Kosten, who settled in Americain 1870
- Hendrik Kosten, who arrived in America in 1870
- Adriaan Kosten, who settled in America in 1873
Contemporary Notables of the name Kosten (post 1700)
- Laurel L. Kosten, American politician, Farmer-Labor Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 5th District, 1934; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1940
- Edward A. Kosten, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Kent County 1st District, 1938 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, November 24) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Edward A. Kosten, American politician, Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Michigan, 1914