100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Killingsworth family come from? What is the English Killingsworth family crest and coat of arms? When did the Killingsworth family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Killingsworth family history?
The name, Killingsworth, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Killingworth, Chillingworth, Shillingworth and others.
First found in Northumberland where Killingworth is a township in the parish of Long Benton. There may have been another local in Norfolk as many of the early records of the surname are found there: Adam de Kellyngworthe was listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273; and Thomas de Killingworth was vicar of Windham as listed in the Feet of Fines of 1388. The Feet of Fines of 1561 list Thomas de Killingworth, again in Norfolk. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Killingsworth research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Killingsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Killingsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The New World beckoned settlers from the Scottish-English borders. They sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. Some called them, less romantically, the "coffin ships." Among the early settlers bearing the Killingsworth surname who came to North America were:
Killingsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wiley S. Killingsworth, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1897
Killingsworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Walter M. Killingsworth, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Wisbeck, England, in 1923
- Allen Killingsworth, aged 28, who emigrated to Chicago, Ill, in 1924
- Robert Killingsworth (b. 1962), American professional football player
- Cleve L. Killingsworth, American former CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Thomas Killingsworth, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980
- Ray Killingsworth, American Republican politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for California, 1948
- A. J. Killingsworth, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Senator from Alabama, 1978
- Daniel Killingsworth (1835-1862), American lawyer and Confederate officer
- Edward Killingsworth (1917-2004), American architect
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Killingsworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Killingsworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 October 2015 at 10:56.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!