Killilea History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Killilea comes from the original Irish Mac Giolla Leith, meaning son of a devotee of Leith.
Early Origins of the Killilea family
The surname Killilea was first found in County Galway
(Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht
, located on the west coast of the Island, where the MacGiolla Leith belong to the Clan
of Ui Maine.
Early History of the Killilea family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Killilea research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Killilea History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Killilea Spelling Variations
of this family name include: MacKillilea, Killilea, MacGillilea, Killileagh and many more.
Early Notables of the Killilea family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Killilea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Killilea family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Killilea Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Killilea, who immigrated to New York in 1849
- Bridget and Jon Killilea, who landed in New York in 1849
- Honora and Mary A. Killilea, who arrived in New York in 1856
- Patrick Killilea, who landed in New York in 1867
Contemporary Notables of the name Killilea (post 1700)
- Matthew Robert Killilea (1862-1902), American lawyer and politician
- Karen Ann Killilea (b. 1940), American subject of two bestselling books by her mother Marie Killilea
- Henry James Killilea (1863-1929), American baseball executive, one of the five men who founded baseball's American League as a major league in 1899, Owner of the Boston Red Sox (1903-1904)
- Marie Killilea (1913-1991), American author, activist, and lobbyist for the rights of people with cerebral palsy, best known for her children's books based on the real life story of the Killilea family, mother of Karen Killilea
- Mark Killilea Jr. (b. 1939), former Irish Fianna Fáil politician, son of Mark Killilea, Sr
- Mark Killilea Sr. (1896-1970), Irish Fianna Fáil politician
Killilea Family Crest Products