on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Killilea family come from? What is the Irish Killilea family crest and coat of arms? When did the Killilea family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Killilea family history?The surname Killilea comes from the original Irish Mac Giolla Leith, meaning son of a devotee of Leith.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKillilea, Killilea, MacGillilea, Killileagh and many more.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where the MacGiolla Leith belong to the Clan of Ui Maine.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Killilea research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Killilea History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Killilea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Killilea Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Killilea, who immigrated to New York in 1849
- Bridget and Jon Killilea, who landed in New York in 1849
- Honora and Mary A. Killilea, who arrived in New York in 1856
- Patrick Killilea, who landed in New York in 1867
- Matthew Robert Killilea (1862-1902), American lawyer and politician
- Karen Ann Killilea (b. 1940), American subject of two bestselling books by her mother Marie Killilea
- Henry James Killilea (1863-1929), American baseball executive, one of the five men who founded baseball's American League as a major league in 1899, Owner of the Boston Red Sox (1903-1904)
- Marie Killilea (1913-1991), American author, activist, and lobbyist for the rights of people with cerebral palsy, best known for her children's books based on the real life story of the Killilea family, mother of Karen Killilea
- Mark Killilea Jr. (b. 1939), former Irish Fianna Fáil politician, son of Mark Killilea, Sr
- Mark Killilea Sr. (1896-1970), Irish Fianna Fáil politician
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Killilea Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Killilea Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 June 2015 at 11:33.
on orders of $85 or more