on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Killilea family come from? What is the Irish Killilea family crest and coat of arms? When did the Killilea family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Killilea family history?The surname Killilea comes from the original Irish Mac Giolla Leith, meaning son of a devotee of Leith.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKillilea, Killilea, MacGillilea, Killileagh and many more.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where the MacGiolla Leith belong to the Clan of Ui Maine.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Killilea research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Killilea History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Killilea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Killilea Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Killilea, who immigrated to New York in 1849
- Bridget and Jon Killilea, who landed in New York in 1849
- Honora and Mary A. Killilea, who arrived in New York in 1856
- Patrick Killilea, who landed in New York in 1867
- Matthew Robert Killilea (1862-1902), American lawyer and politician
- Karen Ann Killilea (b. 1940), American subject of two bestselling books by her mother Marie Killilea
- Henry James Killilea (1863-1929), American baseball executive, one of the five men who founded baseball's American League as a major league in 1899, Owner of the Boston Red Sox (1903-1904)
- Marie Killilea (1913-1991), American author, activist, and lobbyist for the rights of people with cerebral palsy, best known for her children's books based on the real life story of the Killilea family, mother of Karen Killilea
- Mark Killilea Jr. (b. 1939), former Irish Fianna Fáil politician, son of Mark Killilea, Sr
- Mark Killilea Sr. (1896-1970), Irish Fianna Fáil politician
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Killilea Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Killilea Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 June 2015 at 11:33.
on orders of $85 or more