Ketchin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Not surprisingly, the Ketchin surname is thought to have originally been an occupational name for a cook, deriving from the Old English word "cycen."
Early Origins of the Ketchin family
The surname Ketchin was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Early rolls revealed Henry atte Kychene c. 1300 and Richard del Kechin. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 lists Johannes del Kechyn; Johannes del Kuchyn; and Thomas del Kichyn. 
Important Dates for the Ketchin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ketchin research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1350, 1477 and 1563 are included under the topic Early Ketchin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ketchin Spelling Variations
Although the name, Ketchin, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Kitchen, Ketchin, Kitching, Kitchiner, Kitchener and others.
Early Notables of the Ketchin family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ketchin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ketchin family to Ireland
Some of the Ketchin family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ketchin migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Ketchin family name Ketchin, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Ketchin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Ketchin, who arrived in Virginia in 1650 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ketchin (post 1700)
- James H. Ketchin, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Illinois State Senate 35th District, 1938 
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html