on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Kessler family come from? What is the German Kessler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kessler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kessler family history?The surname Kessler is a metonymic surname; it is derived from the principle object associated with the occupation of the original holder. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the German word "kezzel," which in turn comes from the Old German word "kezzil," which means "kettle" or "cauldron."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kessler, Kessller, Kesler, Kesller, Kesseler, Kesseller, Keseler, Keseller, Kaessler, Kaesler, Kaeseler, Kaesseler, Cessler, Cessller, Cesler, Cesller, Cesseler, Cesseller, Ceseler, Ceseller, Caessler, Caesler, Caeseler and many more.
First found in Hessen and the Rhineland, where the family became noted for its many branches within the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was sought by the princes of the region. Chronicles first mention Erbo Kesseler of Strasbourg in 1261, and Hans Kesseler of Breslau, Silesia, in 1384.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kessler research. Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1317, 1571, 1765, and 1803 are included under the topic Early Kessler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kessler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kessler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Kessler, who arrived in New York City between 1709-10
- Maria and Nicol Kessler arrived in New York between 1709-10
- Frans Niklaas Kessler, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Johann Kessler, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1709
- Johannes Kessler, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
Kessler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Catharina Kessler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1804
- Andreas Kessler, aged 42, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Joseph Kessler, who landed in Ohio in 1824
- Karl Kessler, who arrived in North America in 1827
- Philip Baltzer Kessler, who landed in Maryland in 1828
- Tommy Kessler, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Texas 1st District, 1996
- Stephanie Kessler, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Wyoming, 1996
- Shirley Kessler, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for California, 1972
- Rita Kessler, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1988
- Samuel I. Kessler, American Democrat politician, Chair of Essex County Democratic Party, 1927; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1928, 1932, 1940
- Richard H. Kessler, American Republican politician, Candidate for Mayor of Tuckahoe, New York, 1957
- Philip J. Kessler, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1956
- Otto E. Kessler, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Nitro, West Virginia, 1929-34
- Melvin Ray Kessler, American Democrat politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 27th District, 2010
- Kurt R. Kessler, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State Board of Education 4th District, 2002
- Abraham Kesler (also Kessler), 1809-1891 by Richard W. Tobin.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
The Kessler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kessler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 December 2015 at 15:00.
on orders of $85 or more