Kelson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Kelson family
The surname Kelson was first found in Somerset.
Important Dates for the Kelson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kelson research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1687 and 1688 are included under the topic Early Kelson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kelson Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Kelson include Kelson, Kelston, Kelton and others.
Early Notables of the Kelson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kelson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kelson migration to the United States
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Kelson or a variant listed above:
Kelson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- An Kelson, who arrived in Virginia in 1665-1666 
- John Kelson, who arrived in Virginia in 1665-1666 
- Culb Kelson, who landed in Maryland in 1671 
Kelson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Kelson, who settled in Philadelphia in 1798
Kelson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Kelson, who settled in Philadelphia in 1834
- John Henry Kelson, aged 27, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1843 
- Amasa Kelson, who landed in New York in 1850 
- William Kelson, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1860
Kelson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Kelson, who landed in Alabama in 1917 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kelson (post 1700)
- Keith Kelson, American zoologist and government official
- Charles H. Kelson, American politician, Member of Minnesota State Senate 63rd District, 1923-26 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html