Karge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The colorful history of the German region of Silesia provides the setting for oldest origins of the Karge family surname. The name Karge comes from the Middle High German word "karc," meaning "cunning," or "sly." As such, the surname was most likely originally a nickname which later became a surname.
Early Origins of the Karge family
The surname Karge was first found in Silesia, where this family made important contributions toward the development of this district from ancient times. Always prominent in social and political affairs, the family formed alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Ancient chronicles first mention Heinczel Kergel of Prague (c.1321,) Nicolaus Karger of Olmuetz (c.1361,) and Wigund Karge of Hessen (c.1265).
Early History of the Karge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Karge research. Another 379 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1698, 1598, 1723, 1709, 1774, 1813, 1827, 1837, 1841, 1846, 1613, 1614 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Karge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Karge Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Karg, Karger, Kaerg, Kaerger, Karge, Kaerge, Kaergel, Kerg, Kerger, Kergel, Kerge, Karc and many more.
Early Notables of the Karge family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Karge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Karge migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Karge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Sophie Karge, aged 25, who landed in America in 1843 
- Elisabeth Karge, who arrived in Texas in 1846 
Karge Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernestine Karge, aged 47, who arrived in America, in 1913
- Rosalie Karge, aged 50, who arrived in America, in 1913
- Lucie Karge, aged 27, who arrived in America from Berlin, Germany, in 1920
- Elise Karge, aged 32, who arrived in America from Stuttgart, Germany, in 1922
- Wilhelm Karge, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Karge (post 1700) +
- Joseph Karge (1823-1892), Polish-born, American military officer and educator at Princeton University
- Albert Karge, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nevada, 1912 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html