100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German-Alt
The surname Kahl is a nickname
surname; it is derived from a nickname given to the original bearer. A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character. In this case, the nickname is derived from the German word "kahl," which means "bald."
The surname Kahl was first found in Lusatia, where the family was anciently associated with the political and religious conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. The family founded numerous branches, many of which acquired manors and estates in surrounding regions, where they contributed to the prosperity of their society. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles of Silesia
include Nickel Kaler of Glatz (c.1384,) and Frenczel Kaler of Goerlitz (c.1434).
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kahl, Kahle, Kahler, Kahlen, Kahlert, Kahlere, Kahll, Kahller, Kal, Kall, Kale, Kaler, Kaller, Cal, Cahl, Cahle, Cahler and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kahl research. Another 313 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1775, 1786, 1792, 1812, 1813, and 1837 are included under the topic Early Kahl History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kahl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kahl Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wilhelm Kahl, who arrived in New York City in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Kahl, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Johannes Kahl came to Philadelphia in 1741
- Anna Maria Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Jacob Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Kahl Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Kahl, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1830
- Charles Kahl, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Johann Jakob Kahl, who landed in North America in 1847
- Joh Sylvester Kahl, who landed in America in 1850
- Joh Wilh Kahl, who arrived in America in 1850
- Nick Kahl, American politician, Member of the Oregon House of Representatives from the 49th district (2009-2011)
- Robb Kahl, American lawyer and politician,Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly from the 47th district
- Chris Kahl (b. 1977), American musician
- Nicholas Alexander Kahl (1879-1959), American Major League Baseball second baseman
- Milt Kahl (1909-1987), American animator for Disney Studios, one of Disney's Nine Old Men who created Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi and many more
- Helmuth Kahl (1901-1974), German bronze medalist pentathlete at the 1928 Summer Olympics
- Joachim Kahl (b. 1941), German freelance philosopher
- Bruno Kahl (1914-1999), German Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Raymond Kahl (1974-2000), Papua New Guinean rugby league player at the 2000 World Cup
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Kahl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kahl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2014 at 14:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!