on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German-Alt, German
Where did the German Kahl family come from? What is the German Kahl family crest and coat of arms? When did the Kahl family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Kahl family history?The surname Kahl is a nickname surname; it is derived from a nickname given to the original bearer. A broad and miscellaneous class of surnames, nickname surnames referred to a characteristic of the first person who used the name. They can describe the bearer's favored style of clothing, appearance, habits, or character. In this case, the nickname is derived from the German word "kahl," which means "bald."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Kahl, Kahle, Kahler, Kahlen, Kahlert, Kahlere, Kahll, Kahller, Kal, Kall, Kale, Kaler, Kaller, Cal, Cahl, Cahle, Cahler and many more.
First found in Lusatia, where the family was anciently associated with the political and religious conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. The family founded numerous branches, many of which acquired manors and estates in surrounding regions, where they contributed to the prosperity of their society. Individual bearers of the name first mentioned in ancient chronicles of Silesia include Nickel Kaler of Glatz (c.1384,) and Frenczel Kaler of Goerlitz (c.1434).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kahl research. Another 313 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1775, 1786, 1792, 1812, 1813, and 1837 are included under the topic Early Kahl History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kahl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kahl Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wilhelm Kahl, who arrived in New York City in 1709
- Johann Wilhelm Kahl, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Johannes Kahl came to Philadelphia in 1741
- Anna Maria Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Jacob Kahl, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Kahl Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Kahl, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1830
- Charles Kahl, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Johann Jakob Kahl, who landed in North America in 1847
- Joh Sylvester Kahl, who landed in America in 1850
- Joh Wilh Kahl, who arrived in America in 1850
- Milt Kahl (1909-1987), American animator for Disney Studios, one of Disney's Nine Old Men who created Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi and many more
- Nicholas Alexander Kahl (1879-1959), American Major League Baseball second baseman
- Chris Kahl (b. 1977), American musician
- Robb Kahl, American lawyer and politician,Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly from the 47th district
- Nick Kahl, American politician, Member of the Oregon House of Representatives from the 49th district (2009-2011)
- Bruno Kahl (1914-1999), German Oberstleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Joachim Kahl (b. 1941), German freelance philosopher
- Helmuth Kahl (1901-1974), German bronze medalist pentathlete at the 1928 Summer Olympics
- Raymond Kahl (1974-2000), Papua New Guinean rugby league player at the 2000 World Cup
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
The Kahl Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Kahl Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2014 at 14:39.
on orders of $85 or more