on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Joel family come from? What is the German Joel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Joel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Joel family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Joel, Joell, Joele, Joelle, Joels, Joells, Joeles, Joele, Jeol, Joelles, Jeole, Joelz and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name Joel became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Joel research. Another 187 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 181 and 1817 are included under the topic Early Joel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Joel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Joel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Benjamin Joel, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1785
Joel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Joel, who arrived in Arkansas in 1877
- Moses Joel, who landed in Arkansas in 1887
- Jake Joel, who landed in Arkansas in 1892
Joel Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Martha Joel, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- William Martin "Billy" Joel (b. 1949), famous American singer and songwriter, six-time Grammy Award winner, reportedly the sixth best selling artist in the United States
- Sergeant First Class Lawrence Joel (1928-1984), United States military veteran, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Karl Amson Joel (1889-1982), German-Jewish textile merchant and manufacturer
- Joel Joel (1836-1893), founder of the Joel family of England who made a fortune in diamonds in South Africa
- Alexander Joel (b. 1971), English born, German pianist and conductor
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Joel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Joel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2014 at 13:58.
on orders of $85 or more