on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Joel family come from? What is the German Joel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Joel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Joel family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Joel, Joell, Joele, Joelle, Joels, Joells, Joeles, Joele, Jeol, Joelles, Jeole, Joelz and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name Joel became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Joel research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 181 and 1817 are included under the topic Early Joel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Joel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Joel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Benjamin Joel, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1785
Joel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Joel, who arrived in Arkansas in 1877
- Moses Joel, who landed in Arkansas in 1887
- Jake Joel, who landed in Arkansas in 1892
Joel Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Martha Joel, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alumbagh" in 1875
- William Martin "Billy" Joel (b. 1949), famous American singer and songwriter, six-time Grammy Award winner, reportedly the sixth best selling artist in the United States
- Sergeant First Class Lawrence Joel (1928-1984), United States military veteran, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Karl Amson Joel (1889-1982), German-Jewish textile merchant and manufacturer
- Alexander Joel (b. 1971), English born, German pianist and conductor
- Joel Joel (1836-1893), founder of the Joel family of England who made a fortune in diamonds in South Africa
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
The Joel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Joel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2014 at 13:58.
on orders of $85 or more