on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Jock was first found in Kent
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 14th century when Roger Yoke held estates in that county in 1317.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yoke, Yokes, Joke, Jokes, Joach, Yoak, Yoach and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jock research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1324, 1390, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Jock History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Jock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Jock Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Heinrich Jock, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Johann Georg Jock, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Elisabetha Jock, who arrived in America in 1753
- Harry Jock, American politician, Representative from Michigan 17th District, 1974
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Jock Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jock Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2015 at 14:01.
on orders of $85 or more