Jerey Surname History
Early Origins of the Jerey family
The surname Jerey was first found in Leicestershire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1221 when Ralph Jory held lands.
Important Dates for the Jerey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jerey research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Jerey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jerey Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Jerey has undergone many spelling variations, including Jory, Jorie, Jorey and others.
Early Notables of the Jerey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Jerey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Jerey family
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Jerey were among those contributors: Edw. Jory, who came to Virginia in 1664; James Jory, who was naturalized in Illinois in 1832; William Jory, who was naturalized in Oregon in 1851; as well as Thomas Jorey, who was on record in Ohio in 1851..