Jauncey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Jauncey family
The surname Jauncey was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Jauncey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jauncey research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1784, and 1795 are included under the topic Early Jauncey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jauncey Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Jauncey, Jauncy, Jancey and others.
Early Notables of the Jauncey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Jauncey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Jauncey migration to the United States
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Jauncey or a variant listed above:
Jauncey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Jauncey, who sailed to Virginia in 1697
- William Jauncey, who landed in Virginia in 1697 
Contemporary Notables of the name Jauncey (post 1700)
- Lord Charles Elliot Jauncey (b. 1925), Baron Jauncey of Tullichettle, Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland
- David Lynn Jauncey, Australian astronomer
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)