on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the German Jacoby family come from? What is the German Jacoby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Jacoby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Jacoby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jacobsen, Jacobson, Jacobs, Jacobse, Jacob, Jacober, Jacobi, Jacobie, Jacoby, Jacobsohn, Jacobssohn, Jakobs, Jakober, Jakobsohn, Jacobsson, Jakobsson, Jakobssohn, Jakobsen, Jakobi, Jakobson, Jakobie and many more.
First found in Silesia, where the name was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region. In the Middle Ages, the name referred back to the Apostel Jacobus, whose grave in Spain was a popular goal for pilgrimage. These pilgrims from Germany became known as "Jacobsbrueder" (Jacobs-brothers).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jacoby research. Another 349 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1817, 1685, 1734, 1743, 1819, 1740 and 1814 are included under the topic Early Jacoby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 133 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jacoby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Jacoby Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jost Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Ernst Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Nickel Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Johann Peter Jacoby, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Conrad Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1764
Jacoby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Jacoby, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Charles Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1840
- Henry Edward Jacoby to Philadelphia in 1842
- Wolf Marcus Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1849
- Otto Jacoby, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- Joseph Erwin Jacoby (b. 1959), former American football offensive lineman
- Henry Sylvester Jacoby (b. 1857), American educator
- Brook Wallace Jacoby (b. 1959), former American Major League Baseball third baseman
- Oswald Jacoby (1902-1984), American contract bridge player and author
- Scott Jacoby (b. 1956), American Emmy winning actor
- Mark Jacoby (b. 1947), American Broadway performer
- Oren Jacoby, American director and producer of documentary films
- Donald Jacoby, American ice dancer
- Coleman Jacoby (1915-2010), American comedy writer for radio and television
- Harold Jacoby (1865-1932), American astronomer
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Jacoby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jacoby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 February 2015 at 10:38.
on orders of $85 or more