100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Iverson family come from? What is the English Iverson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Iverson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Iverson family history?The name Iverson is tied to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of England. It comes from the baptismal name Ivar, derived from the Old French name Ivar, which arrived in England shortly after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The surname Iverson was also derived from the Saint Ives, whose name was also found as St. Ives in Huntingdonshire.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Iverson has undergone many spelling variations, including Iveson, Iverson, Ivison and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Iverson research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1115 and 1383 are included under the topic Early Iverson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Iverson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Iverson were among those contributors:
Iverson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Halvor Iverson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1825
- K M Iverson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Lars Iverson, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1884
Iverson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Erick Iverson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1912
- Allen Ezail Iverson (b. 1975), American professional basketball player
- Alfred Iverson Jr. (1829-1911), lawyer, an officer in the Mexican-American War, a U.S. Army cavalry officer, and a Confederate general
- Ethan Iverson (b. 1973), American pianist, composer, and critic
- Donald Iverson (b. 1945), American professional golfer
- Kim Iverson (b. 1980), American radio personality
- Becky Iverson (b. 1967), American professional golfer
- Alfred Iverson Sr. (1798-1873), United States Representative and Senator from Georgia
- Kirk Iverson, American inventor, writer, producer and media executive
- Peter Iverson (b. 1944), the Regents Professor of History at Arizona State University
- Robert "Bob" Iverson (1910-1953), former English professional footballer
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Iverson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Iverson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!