The name Imms was spawned by the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture that ruled a majority of Britain. It comes from the baptismal name Emma.
The surname Imms referred to the son of Emma
which belongs to the category of metronymic surnames.
Early Origins of the Imms family
The surname Imms was first found in Somerset
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Imms family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Imms research.Another 273 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1243, 1574, 1768, and 1794 are included under the topic Early Imms History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Imms Spelling Variations
Imms has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred
years, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Imms have been found, including Im, Imm, Imme, Imms, Immes, Immson, Imson, Immeson, Imeson, Immison, Imison and many more.
Early Notables of the Imms family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Imms Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Imms family to the New World and Oceana
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Immss to arrive on North American shores:
Imms Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest Imms, aged 32, who landed in America from Southampton, in 1923
- Frederick Imms, aged 15, who emigrated to America, in 1924
Imms Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Imms, aged 40, a farm labourer, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rooparell" in 1874
- Lucy Imms, aged 30, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rooparell" in 1874
- Emily Imms, aged 6, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rooparell" in 1874
- Willie Imms, aged 1, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rooparell" in 1874
Contemporary Notables of the name Imms (post 1700)
- David Imms (b. 1945), English artist and painter, awarded the Northern Arts Purchase Award and Llewellyn Smith Scholarship
- Augustus Daniel Imms FRS (1880-1949), English educator, research institution administrator and entomologist
- George Imms, British government official