Imm History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Imm surname finds its earliest origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name is derived from the baptismal name 'Emma.'' The surname Imm referred to the 'son of Emma' which belongs to the category of metronymic surnames. 
Early Origins of the Imm family
The surname Imm was first found in London where the first record is the marriage record of William Kelsea and Isabell Imme, who married at St. Dionis Backchurch in 1574. 
Early History of the Imm family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Imm research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1243, 1574, 1794, 1768, 1788, 1783 and 1785 are included under the topic Early Imm History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Imm Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Imm are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Imm include: Im, Imm, Imme, Imms, Immes, Immson, Imson, Immeson, Imeson, Immison, Imison and many more.
Early Notables of the Imm family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Imm Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Imm migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Imm or a variant listed above:
Imm Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Imm, who sailed to New York in 1862
- Georg Imm, aged 44, who arrived in New York in 1862 
Related Stories +
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)