Illingsworth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Illingsworth surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived in the chapelry of Illingworth in the parish of Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire. This place-name was originally derived from the Old English word Illinword, which refers to an enclosure.
Early Origins of the Illingsworth family
The surname Illingsworth was first found in Yorkshire at Illingworth, a village that dates back to 1276 when it was first listed as Illingworthe. 
Important Dates for the Illingsworth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Illingsworth research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Illingsworth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Illingsworth Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Illingsworth include Illingworth, Ilingworth, Illingsworth and others.
Early Notables of the Illingsworth family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Illingsworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Illingsworth migration to the United States
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Illingsworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Illingsworth, who arrived in Maryland in 1658 
- William Illingsworth, who arrived in Maryland in 1658 
Illingsworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joshua Illingsworth, who settled in Newcastle county in Delaware in 1852
- Joseph B Illingsworth, who landed in Indiana in 1854 
Illingsworth migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Illingsworth Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Illingsworth, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Constance" in 1848 
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) CONSTANCE - 1848. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1848Constance.htm