Shropshire, and was listed in the Domesday Book in 1086 as held by Ralph de Mortimer.
Early Origins of the Hyley family
Shropshire at Highley, today a large village and civil parish on the west bank of the River Severn. The village dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was first listed as Hughlei CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8) and literally meant "woodland clearing of a man called Hugga," from the Old English personal name + "leah." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4) As far as the surname, the first record of the name was found in 1246 where it was listed simply as "Huggele."
Early History of the Hyley family
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1377, 1573 and 1581 are included under the topic Early Hyley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hyley Spelling Variations
spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Hyley family name include Highley, Highley, Higford, Hiley, Heighly, Hyley and others.
Early Notables of the Hyley family (pre 1700)
PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hyley family to the New World and Oceana
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Hyley surname or a spelling variation of the name include: John Hiley, who was sent to a plantation in Virginia in 1665; Jno. Highly, who settled in Virginia in 1673; Julian Hiley, who immigrated to Maryland in 1678.
The Hyley Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Dieu et mon Droit
Motto Translation: God and my Right.
Hyley Family Crest Products