Horrobin is one of the oldest family names to come from the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It is derived from the name Rabin
which are pet forms of the personal name Robert.
The name is preceded the Old English prefix har,
which means gray.
Hence, the surname Horrobin literally means gray Rabin
or gray Robin.
Early Origins of the Horrobin family
The surname Horrobin was first found in Lancashire
, where the family held a family seat
in early times.
Early History of the Horrobin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Horrobin research.Another 154 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1591, 1596, 1612, 1618, 1633, 1696, 1783, and 1790 are included under the topic Early Horrobin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Horrobin Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Horrobin has undergone many spelling variations
, including Horrobin, Horrabin, Horobin, Horabin, Harrobin, Harrabin, Harobin, Harbin, Harbine, Harbyn, Harbynn, Horbyn and many more.
Early Notables of the Horrobin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Horrobin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Horrobin family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Horrobin were among those contributors:
Horrobin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs W. C. Horrobin, who arrived in America, in 1904
- John Horrobin, aged 50, who arrived in America from Paisley, England, in 1906
- James Horrobin, aged 19, who arrived in America from England, in 1909
- Ada Horrobin, aged 27, who arrived in America from Liverpool, England, in 1913
- Nellie Horrobin, aged 16, who arrived in America from Cardiff, Wales, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Horrobin (post 1700)
- David Frederick Horrobin (1939-2003), English entrepreneur, medical researcher, author, editor and founder of the biotechnology company Scotia Holdings
Horrobin Family Crest Products