on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Hordern was first found in Durham
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
The name Hordern, appeared in many references, and from time to time, the surname was spelt Hordern, Horden, Hordin, Hordon, Hordeyne, Hordiene, Hordierne, Orden and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hordern research. Another 323 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1050, 1196, 1273, 1273, 1296, 1379 and 1696 are included under the topic Early Hordern History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hordern Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hordern Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Hordern arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Brothers" in 1850
- Peter M Hordern, member of the British Parliament
- Sir Michael Murray Hordern (1911-1995), British stage and screen actor knighted in 1983
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Hordern Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hordern Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 July 2013 at 13:40.
on orders of $85 or more