Hopcroft History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Hopcroft family
The surname Hopcroft was first found in Northumberland
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when Richard Hobcroft held estates in that county.
Early History of the Hopcroft family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hopcroft research.Another 267 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1603 are included under the topic Early Hopcroft History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hopcroft Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Hopcroft have been found, including Hobcroft, Hobraft, Hopcroft, Hopcraft, Habcroft and others.
Early Notables of the Hopcroft family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hopcroft Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hopcroft family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Hopcroft, or a variant listed above:
Hopcroft Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Hopcroft, who arrived in Virginia in 1679
Hopcroft Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Hopcroft, who arrived in Maryland in 1771
Hopcroft Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Hopcroft, who was on record in the census of Ontario, Canada in 1871
Hopcroft Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Hopcroft (aged 29), a carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Gomelza"
Contemporary Notables of the name Hopcroft (post 1700)
- Russell H Hopcroft Ph.D., American Associate Professor at the Institute of Marine Science of the University of Alaska
- Rosemary L Hopcroft Ph.D., American Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology & Anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- John E Hopcroft (b. 1939), IBM Professor of Engineering and Applied Mathematics in Computer Science and former Dean of Engineering (1994-2001) at Cornell University
Hopcroft Family Crest Products