on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, Spanish
Where did the French Holguin family come from? What is the French Holguin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Holguin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Holguin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hellguin, Helguin, Hellouin, Hellouin and others.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Calvados and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Holguin research. Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Holguin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Holguin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Holguin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hernando Holguin, who arrived in America in 1812
- Baltasar Holguin, who landed in New Spain in 1835
- Mencia Holguin, who landed in Spanish Main in 1853
- Tony Holguin (1926-2009), American professional golfer who played on the PGA Tour and the Senior PGA Tour
- Carlos Holguin (1832-1894), President of the Republic of Colombia from 1888 until 1892. His literary and historical works include "La Prensa" and "El Repertorio Colombiano"
- Jorge Holguin (1848-1928), Colombian politician and military officer, two time Acting President of Colombia
- Guillermo Uribe Holguin (1880-1971), Colombian composer and violinist and founder of the National Symphony Orchestra of Colombia
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Holguin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Holguin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 March 2014 at 11:15.
on orders of $85 or more