on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Hildebrand family come from? What is the German Hildebrand family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hildebrand family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hildebrand family history?The distinguished German surname Hildebrand is derived from the German personal name "Hildebrand," which is composed of two elements: "hild," derived from the Old High German "hilja," meaning "fight" or "battle," and "brand," derived from the Old High German "brant," meaning "fire" or "sword."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hidlebrand, Hildebrandt, Hildeprand, Hildeprandt, Hiltebrande, Hiltebrand, Hillenbrand and many more.
First found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century, the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. The Hildebrand family was also seated at Ruckhofen in the Ratisbonne.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hildebrand research. Another 257 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1530, 1756, 1614, 1684, 1668 and 1745 are included under the topic Early Hildebrand History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hildebrand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hildebrand Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Catharina Hildebrand, who arrived in New York, NY in 1710
- Johann Jacob Hildebrand, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1734
- Nicolas Hildebrand, who landed in Frederick County, Maryland in 1734
- Johannes Hildebrand, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Joh Jacob Hildebrand, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1753
Hildebrand Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Maria Hildebrand, who came to Baltimore in 1831
- Christoph Hildebrand, aged 23, arrived in New York, NY in 1832
- Heinrich Hildebrand, who arrived in America in 1832
- Xaver Theobald Hildebrand, who landed in America in 1837
- William Hildebrand, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1842
Hildebrand Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Peter Hildebrand, who arrived in Manitoba in 1874
- Henry Hildebrand, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Jacob Hildebrand, who arrived in Manitoba in 1875
- Bernhard Hildebrand, who arrived in Manitoba in 1878
- Isaac Hildebrand, who landed in Manitoba in 1878
Hildebrand Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Hildebrand landed in Wairarapa, New Zealand in 1840
- Palmer Marion Hildebrand (1884-1960), Major League Baseball catcher
- Joel Henry Hildebrand (1881-1983), American educator and a pioneer chemist
- George Albert Hildebrand (1878-1960), American left fielder and umpire in Major League Baseball
- Brian Curtis Hildebrand (1962-1999), American professional wrestling manager, wrestler and referee
- Oral Clyde Hildebrand (1907-1977), American pitcher in Major League Baseball
- John R. Hildebrand Jr. (b. 1988), American race car driver
- William S. Hildebrand, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Adams County, 1873-74
- R. Lawrence Hildebrand, American Democrat politician, Common pleas court judge in Pennsylvania 53rd District, 1925-29
- Steve Hildebrand, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 2000
- William Hildebrand, American politician, U.S. Consul in Bremen, 1853-57
- Farber and Allied Families of Burkhart, Hildebrand, and Albaugh by Richard Howard Dodge.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
The Hildebrand Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hildebrand Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 January 2016 at 10:10.
on orders of $85 or more