Hickinbottom is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from a family once having lived at Higginbottom in the county of Cheshire.
Early Origins of the Hickinbottom family
The surname Hickinbottom was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Hickinbottom family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hickinbottom research.Another 233 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hickinbottom History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hickinbottom Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hickinbottom has been recorded under many different variations, including Higginbottom, Higginbotham, Hickenbottom, Hickinbottom, Higgenbottom, Higginbothem, Higinbotham, Higinbothem and many more.
Early Notables of the Hickinbottom family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hickinbottom Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hickinbottom family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hickinbottom or a variant listed above:
Hickinbottom Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fanny Hickinbottom, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Birkenhead, England, in 1919
- George William Hickinbottom, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Birkenhead, England, in 1919
- Stanley Hickinbottom, aged 4, who emigrated to America from Birkenhead, England, in 1919
- Florence Hickinbottom, aged 31, who settled in America from Sheffield, England, in 1921
- Jabez Henry Hickinbottom, aged 41, who landed in America from Loughborough, England, in 1923
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Hickinbottom Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Hickinbottom, who landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1843
Contemporary Notables of the name Hickinbottom (post 1700)
- Ernest Hickinbottom (b. 1865), English footballer
- Geoffrey Alfred Hickinbottom (b. 1932), former English cricketer
- Sir Gary Robert Hickinbottom (b. 1955), British judge