Hethrington History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Hethrington is a name whose history on English soil dates back to the wave of migration that followed the Norman Conquest of England of 1066. The Hethrington family lived in Hetherington in Northumberland. The "E" prefix, as in the name Etherington, is a shortened form of the name and has the same phonetic sound. 
Early Origins of the Hethrington family
The surname Hethrington was first found in Northumberland at Hetherington. This ancient Saxon village was derived from the word "haeth", meaning a heath and "tun" a settlement, thus "the farm of the heath." 
Edmund de Hetherynton was listed in the Assize Rolls of Northumberland in 1316.  But before that, Richard de Hetherington was listed in the Assize Rolls of 1298 eighteen years before. 
"The Hetheringtons, who have their present home in Carlisle and its neighbourhood, belong to an ancient border - family that often produced persons of note; in the reign of Henry VIII. George Hethrington, as king's bailiff, "kept watch and ward" in the parish of Kirklinton, on the west marches (H.). Ambrose Hetherington was vicar of Kendal in the reign of Elizabeth." 
Early History of the Hethrington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hethrington research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1100 and are included under the topic Early Hethrington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hethrington Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Etherington, Ethrington, Ethlington, Hetherington, Hetherton and many more.
Early Notables of the Hethrington family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hethrington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hethrington family to Ireland
Some of the Hethrington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 107 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Hethrington migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hethrington Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles, Christie, George, Josh, Susannah Hethrington all, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1803
- Charles Hethrington, aged 40, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Christy Hethrington, aged 36, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Eliza Hethrington, aged 16, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803 
- George Hethrington, aged 10, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)