Herrett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Herrett family
The surname Herrett was first found in Midlothian where they held a family seat from early times and held the lands of Heriot, and were found there as early as c. 1164, when Henry of Heriot witnessed confirmation of the church of Karnewid (Carnwath) to Joceline, bishop of Glasgow.
"Laurence de Herryhot witnessed a grant of the lands of Swaynystoun to the Hospital of Soltre c. 1221-1238. The lands of Trabroun in the sheriffdom of Berwick were confirmed to John de Heriot de Trabroun, son and heir of James de Heriot de Nudre Marschele in 1424." 
Further to the south in England, Richard de Heriett, de Herierd was found in Berkshire and Bedfordshire according to the Feet of Fines of 1197-1198. 
In Somerset, Walter Henriot was listed there 1 Edward III (during the first year of the reign of King Edward III)  and in Norfolk Heriot Heringflet (no date). 
Early History of the Herrett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herrett research. Another 264 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1221, 1429, 1458, 1468, 1504, 1525, 1549, 1537, 1550, 1591, 1570, 1424, 1563, 1624, 1563, 1586, 1560, 1621, 1560, 1580, 1585 and 1588 are included under the topic Early Herrett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrett Spelling Variations
The name, Herrett, occurred in many references, and from time to time, it was spelt Herriot, Heriot, Harriet, Hariet, Herriott, Harriott and many more.
Early Notables of the Herrett family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was John of Heriot of Trabrown, Chief of the Clan in 1424.
George Heriot (1563-1624), was a Scottish goldsmith and philanthropist. He was "founder of Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh, was born in that city 15 June 1563. His father, George Heriot, who belonged to the old Haddingtonshire family, the Heriots of Trabourn, settled early as a goldsmith in Edinburgh, which he represented repeatedly in the Scotch parliament. The younger Heriot was brought up in the business of his father, who, on his marriage in 1586 to the daughter of a respectable Edinburgh tradesman, gave...
Another 143 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herrett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herrett migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Herrett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Richard William Herrett, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Dorothy" in 1849 
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Rye, Walter, A History of Norfolk. London: Elliot Stock, 62, Paternoster Row, 1885. Print
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The DOROTHY 1849. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Dorothy.htm