Herbig History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished German surname Herbig is patronymic in origin, deriving from the name of the father of the original bearer. The early German personal name Herwig means "battle-worthy," and was made popular through the "Gudrun Lied," a Middle High German epic poem written between 1220 and 1250 which featured a character named Herwig, the king of Zealand, Denmark. The name was common under many spelling variations in several areas of medieval Germany, such as Silesia (Harbig), Saxony (Herbig), and Swabia (Herweger).
Early Origins of the Herbig family
The surname Herbig was first found in northern Germany, where the name is thought to have first emerged. The earliest documentation of the name dates back to 1285, when Herwich kolere was recorded to be living in Stralsund in 1285. The name was first recorded as a surname in 1385, borne by Teml Herwich of Budweis. The young Herbig family was instrumental during this formative period, figuring prominently in the country's early history and contributing greatly to the development of medieval German society.
Early History of the Herbig family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herbig research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1385, 1427, 1638, 1696, 1785, 1817, 1845, 1855, 1858, and 1875 are included under the topic Early Herbig History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herbig Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Herwig, Harwig, Harbig, Herbig, Herwegh, Herbing, Herweg, Harweg, Herwich and many more.
Early Notables of the Herbig family (pre 1700)
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herbig Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Herbig migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Herbig Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Herbig, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Jean Herbig, who landed in New York, NY in 1782 
Herbig Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Herbig, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1852 
- Jakob Herbig, aged 32, who arrived in America in 1869 
Contemporary Notables of the name Herbig (post 1700) +
- George Howard Herbig (b. 1920), American astronomer at the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy, eponym of the 11754 Herbig, a tiny Main belt asteroid
- Michael Herbig (b. 1968), German film director, actor and author
- Günther Herbig (b. 1931), German conductor
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)