100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Hendricks family come from? What is the Scottish Hendricks family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hendricks family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hendricks family history?The ancient Pictish-Scottish name Hendricks comes from the personal name Henry.
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations. In various documents, Hendricks has been spelled Hendry, Hendrie, MacHendry, MacHendrick, MacKendrick and many more.
First found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hendricks research. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1183, 1282, 1600, and 1700 are included under the topic Early Hendricks History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hendricks Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hendricks family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Hendricks:
Hendricks Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tjerck Hendricks, who arrived in New York in 1641
- Ephraim Hendricks, who arrived in New York in 1654
- Gertje Hendricks, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1657
- Jacob Hendricks, who arrived in New York in 1659
- Femmetien Hendricks, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1659
Hendricks Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jurgeck Hendricks, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1731
- Paul Hendricks, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1743
- Leonard Hendricks, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1743
Hendricks Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Hendricks, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1828
- William Hendricks, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Russell Hendricks, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Lambert Hendricks, aged 34, landed in New York, NY in 1878
- Johan Hendricks, aged 57, arrived in New York, NY in 1878
Hendricks Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Conrad Hendricks U.E., "Conradt" (b. 1738) born in Middleton Point, New Jersey, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 he died in 1784
- Mr. John Hendricks U.E. (b. 1780), aged 3 born in Middleton Point, New Jersey, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 he died in 1793 at age 13
- Miss. Sarah Hendricks U.E. (b. 1775), aged 8 born in Middleton Point, New Jersey, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 she died in 1795
- Barbara Hendricks (b. 1948), American soprano who has had concert appearances with all leading U.S. and European orchestras
- William L. Hendricks (1904-1992), former USMCR Colonel who was the key figure in setting up the "Toys for Tots" program
- Christina Hendricks (b. 1978), American actress
- Kenneth A. Hendricks (1941-2007), American businessman
- Ted Hendricks (b. 1947), American NFL football player
- Arthur Lemiere Hendricks (b. 1922), Jamaican poet, writer, and broadcasting director
- John Robert Hendricks (1929-2007), Canadian mathematician
- Descendants of Albert(us) Hendricks(on), 1673-1984 by Florence Hendricks Moore.
- Copper for America: The Hendricks Family and a National Industry 1755-1939 by Maxwell Whiteman.
- John and William, Sons of Robert Hendry by Spessard Stone.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Hendricks Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hendricks Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 April 2015 at 09:16.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!