on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Hemingway family come from? What is the Scottish Hemingway family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hemingway family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hemingway family history?The forefathers of the Hemingway family were Viking settlers who came to Scotland in the Middle Ages. Many places were named by these Norsemen, and the Hemingway surname was taken on from one of these place names, when someone lived in the Orkneys, where the family was found since the early Middle Ages.
Sound and intuition were the main things that scribes in the Middle Ages relied on when spelling and translating names. Since those factors varied, so did the spelling of the names. Spelling variations of the name Hemingway include Hemmingway, Hemingway and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hemingway research. Another 291 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1094 and 1379 are included under the topic Early Hemingway History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hemingway Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hemingway Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Hemingway arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1848
- Christiana Hemingway arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1848
- Edwin Cuncliffe Hemingway arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1848
- Walter Hemingway arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Harpley" in 1848
- Ernest Miller Hemingway (1899-1961), American author whose many noted works include "The Old Man and the Sea" and "A Farewell to Arms", recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954 and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1953
- Margaux Louise Hemingway (1955-1996), American model and actress (granddaughter of writer Ernest Hemingway)
- Mariel Hadley Hemingway (b. 1961), American actress and granddaughter of writer Ernest Hemingway
- Gerry Hemingway (b. 1955), American jazz composer and percussionist
- Brigadier General Thomas Hemingway, American military lawyer awarded the Bronze Star, the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, the Defense Distinguished Service Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters among others
- Dave Hemingway (b. 1960), British musician
- Lynn Hemingway, Utah State representative
- Maggie Hemingway (1946-1993), British novelist
- Matt Hemingway (b. 1972), 2004 Olympic Silver Medalist in the High Jump
- Nick Hemingway (b. 1976), British record producer
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Hemingway Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hemingway Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 December 2014 at 19:16.
on orders of $85 or more