The earliest origins of the name Hemenway are with the Viking settlers of the early Middle Ages; the surname having come from a place named by the
It is a name for someone who lived in the Orkneys, where the family was found since the early Middle Ages.
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hemenway research.Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1094 and 1379 are included under the topic Early Hemenway History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Medieval scribes most often spelled names by the way they sounded. spelling variations
, are thus, very common in records dating from that time. Over the years, Hemenway has been spelled Hemmingway, Hemingway and others.
The Scottish settlers spread out along the fertile land of the east coast of what would become the United States and Canada. They and many of their children went on to play important roles in the forging of the great nations of the United States and Canada. That heritage has been recovered by many in this century through Clan
societies and other Scottish historical organizations. Archival documents indicate that members of the Hemenway family relocated to North American shores quite early:
Hemenway Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- C. J. Hemenway, aged 15, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1894
- Clara Hemenway, aged 18, who landed in America from London, in 1894
- E. T. Hemenway, aged 20, who settled in America from London, in 1894
- J. Hemenway, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Hemenway Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Aug J Hemenway, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1905
- L. Hemenway, who emigrated to America, in 1906
- Mary Hemenway, aged 12, who landed in America, in 1906
- Hameth L. Hemenway, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1911
- Alice Hemenway, aged 45, who emigrated to America, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Hemenway Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Delmer Hemenway, who arrived in Canada in 1831