100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Held, Helt, Helde, Helte, Heldt, Heldte and others.
First found in Silesia, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Held research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1532, 1535, 1720, 1759, and 1795 are included under the topic Early Held History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Held Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Held Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Held, who landed in Maryland in 1680
Held Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Held, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1702-1703
- Henrig Held, who landed in New York in 1709
- Johannes Held, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Hans Jacob Held, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Wilhelm Held, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
Held Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicol Held, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Anna Barbara Held, who arrived in North America sometime between 1832 and 1883
- Louis Held, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1846
- Adam Held, who settled in Iowa sometime between 1849 and 1857
- Louise Held, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
Held Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Woodson George "Woodie" Held (1932-2009), American Major League Baseball shortstop/outfielder
- Paul Held (b. 1928), former quarterback in the National Football League
- Franklin Wesley "Bud" Held (b. 1927), American gold medalist javelin thrower
- M. Duncan Held, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Florida, 1948
- John Held Jr., American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Connecticut 4th District, 1926
- John Held, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 7th District, 1924
- Jacob Held, American politician, Mayor of Henderson, Kentucky, 1874-75
- Gerald S. Held, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 13th District, 1964, 1968; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1972
- Samuel W. Held, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 16th District, 1962; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1964
- William F. Held, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Montana, 1934
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
The Held Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Held Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 November 2015 at 11:57.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!