100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Held family come from? What is the German Held family crest and coat of arms? When did the Held family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Held family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Held, Helt, Helde, Helte, Heldt, Heldte and others.
First found in Silesia, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Held research. Another 231 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1532, 1535, 1720, 1759, and 1795 are included under the topic Early Held History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Held Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Held Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Held, who landed in Maryland in 1680
Held Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Held, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1702-1703
- Henrig Held, who landed in New York in 1709
- Johannes Held, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Hans Jacob Held, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Wilhelm Held, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
Held Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicol Held, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Anna Barbara Held, who arrived in North America sometime between 1832 and 1883
- Louis Held, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1846
- Adam Held, who settled in Iowa sometime between 1849 and 1857
- Louise Held, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
Held Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Held Jr. (1889-1958), U.S. illustrator
- Al Held (1928-2005), U.S. abstract expressionist painter
- Carl Held (b. 1931), American actor, best known for his role as Garth in the 1980s soap opera Falcon Crest
- Franklin Wesley "Bud" Held (b. 1927), American gold medalist javelin thrower
- Paul Held (b. 1928), former quarterback in the National Football League
- Woodson George "Woodie" Held (1932-2009), American Major League Baseball shortstop/outfielder
- Louis Held (1851-1927), German photojournalist
- Sigfried Held (b. 1942), German football player
- Franz Held (b. 1948), German rower who competed for West Germany at the 1968 Summer Olympics and at the 1972 Summer Olympics
- Helene Anna Held (1872-1918), Polish-born stage performer, common-law wife of ipresario Florenz Ziegfeld who was most famous for his Ziegfeld Follies
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
The Held Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Held Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2015 at 18:07.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!