on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
While the name Harrington is a well-known English name, people with this surname who claim Ireland
as their homeland probably do so correctly. The Birth Registry of 1890 of families in Ulster
that were of Scottish/English stock reveals no entries for the surname Harrington. Ancient records reveal that the name was originally O'Airchdain in Gaelic 
The surname Harrington was first found in south-west Cork and Kerry. There are numerous versions of the name in Gaelic including: O'Hungerdell, O hIongardail, O hOireachtaigh (found in County Galway
and County Mayo), and O hArrachtain (found in the Tralee-Dingle area of Kerry). All have been Anglicized into Harrington or one of it's variants for record keeping. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Harrington, Harington, Harraghtan, Hargadan and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harrington research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the year 1851 is included under the topic Early Harrington History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harrington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Harrington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Harrington who arrived in Virginia in 1606
- Thomas Harrington settled in Maryland in 1633
- Elias Harrington settled in Virginia in 1635
- Elias Harrington, aged 22, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Harrington, who arrived in Maryland in 1635
Harrington Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Harrington, who landed in Salem, Massachusetts in 1768
Harrington Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Harrington, who landed in Alexandria, Va in 1818
- C. Harrington settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1822
- Michael Harrington, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1840
- Bridget Harrington settled in Boston in 1850
- Joseph Harrington, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Harrington Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Jabez Harrington, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1760
Harrington Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Johana Harrington, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1826
- Honors Harrington, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1828
- John Harrington, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Reuben Harrington, who arrived in Canada in 1832
- Johanna Harrington, aged 28, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the barque "Pallas" from Cork
Harrington Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Miss N Harrington, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Harrington Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Harrington, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- E. Harrington arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Cygnet" in 1836
- James Harrington arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Katherine Stewart Forbes" in 1837
- Amelia Harrington arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Katherine Stewart Forbes" in 1837
- Eliza Harrington arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Katherine Stewart Forbes" in 1837
Harrington Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Harrington arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Berar" in 1865
- Nathaniel Harrington, aged 16, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1870
- Eugene Harrington, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Daniel Patrick Harrington Jr. (1929-2016), known as Pat Harrington, Jr., an American Emmy Award and a Golden Globe Award winning stage and television actor, best known for his role as "Schneider" on the CBS sitcom One Day at a Time
- Daniel Patrick Harrington Sr. (1901-1965), Canadian actor, father of American actor Pat Harrington, Jr
- Edward Harrington (b. 1990), International Male Model
- Daniel J. Harrington (1940-2014), American professor of New Testament and chair of the Biblical Studies Department at Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
- Mr. Charles Henry Harrington (d. 1912), aged 37, American First Class passenger from Washington, D.C. who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Ione F. Harrington, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1952, 1960
- Isaac R. Harrington, American politician, Mayor of Buffalo, New York, 1841-42; Postmaster at Buffalo, New York, 1849-51
- J. A. Harrington, American politician, Mayor of Plano, Texas, 1919-20; Appointed 1919; Resigned 1920
- James Harrington, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Georgia 9th District, 2000
- James E. Harrington Jr., American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1964
- Harrington-Heath Heritage: Ancestors and Descendants (1600-1984) of Oramel Warren Harrington and Martha C. Heath by Ruth Haddox Harrington.
- The Ancestry of Marie Louise Harrington and Her Bagley Descendants by David Harrington Bagley.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more