on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Hansford family come from? What is the English Hansford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hansford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hansford family history?The name Hansford has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in the township of Handforth, in the parish of Cheadle in the county of Cheshire.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Hansford have been found, including Handford, Hanford and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hansford research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 123 and 1230 are included under the topic Early Hansford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hansford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Hansford, or a variant listed above:
Hansford Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Hansford, who landed in Virginia in 1651
- John Hansford, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
Hansford Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Walter Thomas Hansford, aged 22, a smith, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Magdalena"
- Job Hansford, aged 49, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Lord of the Isles"
- Emily R. Hansford, aged 14, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Lord of the Isles"
- John Samuel James Hansford (aged 20), a quarryman, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
- John S.J. Hansford (aged 40), a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Hansford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Hansford, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Frank Cicero Hansford, American Major League Baseball player in the late 1800s
- Pamela Hansford (1912-1981), English novelist, playwright, poet, literary and social critic
- Mr. Ralph Hansford (1881-1914), English Bucker from Easington, Durham at Murton Colliery, England, United Kingdom who worked in the Hillcrest Coal Mine, Alberta, Canada and died in the mine collapse on June 19 1914
- Edwin A. Hansford (1895-1959), Canadian politician from Manitoba
- Gregg Hansford (1952-1995), Australian motorcycle and touring car racer
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Hansford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hansford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:36.
on orders of $85 or more