Early Origins of the Hammac family
The surname Hammac was first found in Devon
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century.
Early History of the Hammac family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hammac research.Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1777, 1867, and 1887 are included under the topic Early Hammac History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hammac Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Hammac has been recorded under many different variations, including Hammock, Hammick, Ammock, Ammick and others.
Early Notables of the Hammac family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hammac Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hammac family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Hammac or a variant listed above: Edward Hammock, who was a convict deported to America in 1771; Charles Hammock, who arrived at the port of New York in 1822; as well as J. Hammock, who was a ship passenger arriving in San Francisco in 1852..
The Hammac Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Laudari a laudato
Motto Translation: Praised by those who are praised.